A staggering 49% of all extortive crimes against legal practices and professionals take place in the Americas. Following investigations or trials, legal professionals can be the target of threatening behaviour, both from people convicted or punished for crimes, as well as their families and associates. These threats include (but are not limited to):
- Incidents of stalking
- Surveillance and threatening messages on social media
- Virtual kidnap
Reimbursement of a wide range of fees incurred during the incident, including:
- Ransom costs – as a business or high net worth individual, payment of a ransom can have a significant impact.
- Additional expenses - the policy will also meet other related expenses such as salaries of a kidnapped employee, travel, accommodation and medical costs including psychiatric care
- Public relations support – to help manage and minimize any reputational damage to the business
- Post-incident analysis and debriefing to help understand why the incident happened and how to prevent a future problem.